Wednesday, February 14, 2007

A Local Legend Gives Me Bowling Tips

I've been practicing my bowling to get back the rhythm. Actually, I started two weeks ago because Glenfair Lanes has some great specials. $1.43 a game on Sunday mornings from 8 AM - 12 Noon and $1.00 per game Tuesday evenings from 7 PM - Closing, and Thursday evenings from 9 PM - Closing. Tough to beat a deal like that for a guy trying to get his game back after an ankle injury.

The hardest thing to do after the one-step approach is getting my timing and rhythm back. I've been trying all kinds of approaches, hand position, pushaways, etcetera to stay in balance at the final delivery point and follow through. It was kind of frustrating because I know what I'm supposed to do; but, I couldn't execute.

As luck would have it last night, one of the local legends, Yogi Yoesting, happened to get on the lane next to me for some practice. I remember Yogi from the time I was stationed at Luke AFB and bowled the All-American Classic at Melrose Bowl, the Major Trio League at Maricopa Lanes, and the jackpot games at Thunderbird Lanes. The time period was 1975 through 1978. (Of course, it's been almost 30 years so he didn't remember me.)

We bowled in silence for some minutes when he commented, "you know, you don't have any kind of a pushaway." He gave me a hint of how to correct that problem and things started to come into play pretty well. We sat down for a while and I recounted my rememberances of him "back in the day." He still didn't remember me but did enjoy (I think) reminiscing about "the time when it took accuracy to be a great bowler."

After I got a bit more comfortable with my pushaway and the timing and rhythm was getting smoother, Yogi offered another hint that he said Earl Anthony gave him when they bowled on the same pair in the U.S. Masters Tournament. With the pushaway and the new hint, I started stringing strikes and was in balance at the finish of my delivery. This, in turn, enabled me to have my hand stay behind the ball, hit my mark and follow through which is why it became less tiring to bowl. Thanks a bunch, Yogi!

Yogi Yoesting is in the Phoenix and Arizona Bowling Halls of Fame and owns the Bowling Pro Shop inside Glenfair Lanes. Additionally, he has too many awards and honors to mention here.

No comments: