Saturday, November 18, 2006

First Bowling Tournament

Today, Mikela bowls her first bowling tournament. It is the City of Phoenix Junior Bowling Championships. The Team event is today with the Doubles and Singles events tomorrow. She will not be nervous unless other people around her convince her that she is. She is a resilient person and takes things in stride.

Mikela doesn't know that she comes from a family heritage of junior bowling association champions. Her grand-uncles, Glenn and Eric won the State of Hawaii Junior Bowling Championship in 1964 and 1966, respectively. I also won in 1966. A point of clarification for 1966 is that Eric won the championship for non-(high school) seniors and I won the championship that qualified me for the national junior bowling championships in Washington, D.C. that year. He was in the 10th grade and I was in the 12th. Glenn and I won in what is known as the "Scratch" division in that we received no handicap pins while Eric won in the handicap pins division.

We have not pushed her into bowling. Since I came back to Phoenix four years ago, I have seen her go through a myriad of youth activities - martial arts, dance, gymnastics, chorus, band - you name it, she's been in it. Right now, band, bowling, and student council are her interests. She will do well in this tournament.

No comments: