Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Kimiville As I Remember.....

Kimiville stretched from the corner of Kilauea Ave and Ponahawai Street, down towards Kamehameha Avenue, along the Canal "all the way" till behind the Hilo Boy's Club. The area behind the Boy's Club was better houses. Most of the time, we entered from the Ponahawai Street entrance. I see an arched entrance, and when you get inside, there were a bunch of shacks and cardboard walls. There were mud-packed, unpaved paths to walk on and we could go all the way to Kamehameha Ave coming out close to Sun Sun Lau. I cannot picture exactly where we lived no matter how much I have tried. We lived there for only a brief period of time and it had to be before the 1960 Tidal Wave because that is when Kimiville was destroyed.

And now that I write about it, I do remember walking up the street (Ponahawai), along Kapiolani Street and Kapiolani Elementary School, and entering the grounds of Hilo Union School. How long did I attend school there? It must not have been very long.

No comments: